So I am personally a huge fan of pumpkin. This fall season I set out to design what I was hoping would be a “perfect” pumpkin muffin. Whenever gluten free is involved, that is somewhat of a challenge and a challenge that I welcome. After several tries I did it. What follows is a recipe that is sure to make any pumpkin lover smile.
“Perfect” Pumpkin Muffins (gluten free)
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons of butter (melted)
- 4 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 3/4 of a 15 oz. can of pumpkin
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of millet flour
- 1/4 cup of sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup of brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon
- 1 cup of golden raisins
- coconut oil non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 380 F.
- Coat a 6 muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg with a fork or wire whisk. Then beat in the melted butter, heavy cream, sugar, vanilla extract, pumpkin and sea salt making sure the mixture becomes smooth.
- In the same large mixing bowl, measure and drop in the xanthan gum, baking soda, cinnamon, and flours, then mix with a mixing spoon. Unlike baking that uses gluten, you do not want to over mix anything. Do NOT use an electric mixer. If you beat the batter too much it will not rise and will not have the desired consistency. You want to mix with a mixing spoon just enough that all of the ingredients are dissolved throughout the batter.
- Fold in the golden raisins and mix until evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly, about 3/4 full.
- Bake muffins in 380 F oven for 30 minutes. Check that they are fully cooked by inserting a toothpick in the center of the muffins. The toothpick should come out clean. If not, put back in the oven for 2 minute intervals until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins for a minimum of 30 minutes before removing from the muffin pan. Serve immediately or store for a maximum of 4 days.
Servings: 6 large size muffins