So after the birth of my newborn baby and getting back home and trying to return to somewhat of a normal life, I thought at first I might never bake again. The truth is, I have found many opportunities in these last 7 weeks (Christopher was born 7 weeks and one day ago today) to bake.
Almost all of my recipes for muffins (which you will find quite a few of on my blog) take me less than 15 minutes to whip up and 30 minutes to bake. With that said, this is one of my newest and I must say best muffins yet for a breakfast treat. Two things make these muffins perfect for breakfast. They are not too sweet and the texture is light and fluffy. You would never know they are gluten free.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (gluten free)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- 1/2 cup of plain nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder (make sure you choose one which is gluten free)
- 1/4 cup of millet flour
- 1/4 cup of white rice flour
- 1/4 cup of sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup of King Arthur Multipurpose Gluten Free flour
- Zest of 1/2 a large lemon
- Juice of 1/2 a large lemon
- 3 tablespoons of poppy seeds
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 380 F.
- Coat a 6 muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a fork or wire whisk. Then beat in the oil, yogurt, sugars and salt making sure all the sugar becomes smooth in the mixture.
- In the same large mixing bowl, measure and drop in the guar gum, baking powder and flours then mix with a mixing spoon. Unlike baking that uses gluten, you do not want to over mix anything. Do NOT use an electric mixer. If you beat the batter too much it will not rise and will not have the desired consistency. You want to mix with a mixing spoon just enough that all of the ingredients are dissolved throughout the batter.
- Add the lemon zest, juice and poppy seeds to the large mixing bowl last.
- Fill the muffin cups evenly, about 2/3 full.
- Bake muffins in 380 F oven for 25 minutes. Check that they are fully cooked by inserting a toothpick in the center of the muffins. The toothpick should come out clean. If not, put back in the oven for 2 minute intervals until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins for a minimum of 30 minutes before removing from the muffin pan. Serve immediately or store for a maximum of 4 days.
Servings: 6 medium size muffins