As you read the title of this blog post, you might be saying to yourself, why would she call a dish epic? Well…….the answer is rather simple. I cook for my husband often and honestly I’m a good cook but he is not a big foodie. When he tasted the dish I am about to give you the recipe for, he said it was an epic meal.
If you are not a gluten free eater, feel free to substitue regular fusilli for my gluten free version and your meal should be just as scrumptious.
Epic Shrimp Fusilli (gluten free)
- 8 oz gluten free fusilli (I like using a gluten free pasta brand that used brown rice, potato and soy flours)
- 1 lb shrimp
- 12 oz of crumbled feta cheese
- 10 oz jar of Trader Joe’s Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Tapenade
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper diced
- 1 large green pepper diced
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of crushed garlic
- In a medium bowl, combine the cilantro, red bell pepper, green pepper, red onion, yellow onion and sea salt. Set this mixture aside.
- In another medium bowl, prepare your shrimp for cooking (peel, devein, etc. unless you have purchased shrimp where they have already been peeled and deveined). Set this bowl aside.
- In a 2 quart pot, fill water 2/3 of the way to the top. Set on stove on high heat. You will wait until the water comes to a boil, throw in a dash of olive oil and salt and then your fusilli and cook following the instructions on the pasta you have selected.
- In a large stove top skillet, pour the olive oil and crushed garlic in the pan and start to heat. In approximately 2 minutes add all the vegetables from your first medium bowl. Simmer this for about 5 minutes. Then add your shrimp to the pan. Continue to cook approximately 12 minutes or until you are certain your shrimp are fully cooked. Remove the skillet from the stove and pour off all excess liquid.
- Take an extra large serving dish and place the cooked fusilli in the bowl first. Then pour the Roasted Red Pepper and Artichoke Tapenade over the fusilli and mix well. Next pour in the feta cheese and again mix. Lastly add the contents of your large stove top skillet which you drained thoroughly. Once everything is mixed evenly, your ready to serve your meal!
Serves: 6 main dish portions or 10 side dish portions.