As I continue my gluten free adventures, I decided it was time to explore some more alternative flours. I stumbled upon a healthy and scrumptious alternative, millet flour. The good news is it is available in most health food stores and also at Whole Foods. So hopefully, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding it.
This muffin is just perfect for breakfast and is very unique. You won’t find many people whom have tasted a muffin like this before. Additionally, you won’t even begin to notice that it is gluten free as the texture is just right!
Sunflower Seed Muffins (gluten free)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of non-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. guar gum
- 3/4 cup of millet flour
- 1/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup of almond meal
- 1/2 cup of unsalted shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup of golden raisins
- non-stick cooking spray
- Prepare a 6 cup muffin pan for the oven by spraying thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 380F.
- Beat together the egg, yogurt, salt, almond extract, and sugars.
- Combine in a separate bowl the baking powder, guar gum, millet flour, rice flour and almond meal.
- Pour dry ingredient mixture into your beaten ingredients. Gradually stir together till well combined. Do not beat with a mixer as you don’t want to overwork the flour.
- Lastly, fold in the sunflower seeds and golden raisins.
- Fill muffin tins to 1/2 full. Bake in a 380F oven for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.
Servings: 6 large muffins