So far, I have stuck to posting my baking recipes. Honestly, because baking is where I usually get most creative. I am making an exception today because one of my dinner dishes turned out to be so scrumptious that I can’t resist sharing it with you.
Like my other recipes, it is gluten free. I would also like to add that this is extremely healthy and practical as a one dish meal. I made a side of corn with pan fried onions as I always like to have a side. However, everything you need for a complete nutritious meal will all be contained in this dish if you choose to make it.
If you haven’t used quinoa before, I highly suggest trying to make this dish. Quinoa is a great alternative to rice and has protein to boot, giving it that extra nutritional edge.
Greek Style Chicken Quinoa (gluten free)
- 1 lb of chicken breast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of quinoa (I like to use tri-color but it is not always available, whatever you can find will work just fine and taste delicious.)
- 3 cups of Organic Low Sodium Chicken Broth (I personally like Trader Joe’s brand, see link I provided.)
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 1 cup of your tomato of choice diced (I like to use small grape tomatoes or mini heirloom tomatoes.)
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons of garlic
- pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 4 tablespoons of gluten free bisquick
- 1/2 cup of kalamata olives diced
- 6 oz. of crumbled feta cheese
- Start by chopping white onion, tomatoes, and cilantro and mixing all this together in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add the garlic, sea salt and pepper to taste to this mixture and then set aside.
- Using a 2 quart pot, combine the quinoa and the chicken broth and place on high heat with lid covering it. Wait for it to come to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and set a timer for 15 minutes and let it simmer on medium heat.
- When the quinoa is fully cooked make sure to drain any excess liquid from the pot if there is any. Then in a large serving bowl, pour the quinoa into it and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet on your stove and add your chicken to the pan. Cover the pan and let simmer for about 3 minutes and then open the lid and turn the chicken pieces over and cook an additional 3 minutes. After this is done, bring your skillet over to the sink and pour off all excess fat and water.
- Return the chicken to the stove in the skillet and mix in the ingredients you chopped as your first step. Let this simmer for 3-5 minutes mixing all the ingredients thoroughly together in the pan and keeping on a low to medium heat.
- Add the gluten free bisquick gradually to your stovetop mixture on the low heat until thoroughly combined. You will notice this thickens the sauce in the pan. This is exactly what you want.
- Turn the heat off and mix in the kalamata olives.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and pour the chicken mixture into your serving dish over the quinoa. Then gradually mix in the feta cheese until thoroughly combined.
- Your meal is complete. I like this dish served hot, but if you prefer, it could definitely be served cold. I leave that choice up to you!