One of my absolute favorite breakfast treats is biscotti. After finding out I could no longer tolerate gluten, I was quite distressed at the perceived loss of one of my favorite foods. So, I recently started the task of trying to get my biscotti back. I researched a recipe for biscotti that does indeed have gluten and worked from that recipe to create my gluten free counterpart. For the original recipe containing gluten click here.
I never post any recipes until I am thoroughly satisfied with them myself. With that in mind, I taste tested these along with my husband and they were absolutely delicious. Served with a hot cup of fresh coffee or cold glass of milk and well, a true delight to the tastebuds!!!
I hope you enjoy.
- 1 cup of Bob Red Mill’s Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/3 cup of Bob Red Mill’s Organic Gluten Free White Rice Flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder (gluten free version of choice)
- 1/2 tsp. guar gum
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl beat oil, vanilla and whole eggs. Add this mixture to the large bowl mixing with a large spoon. Your dough will be dry and quite crumbly. Don’t be alarmed by this.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead.
- With your hands, roll the dough into a small log about 8 inches long.
- Place the log onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Flatten the roll to about 1 inch thick.
- In a small bowl combine the 2 tbsp. sugar and cinnamon.
- Gently brush the 1 egg white across the top of the roll and then sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the sheet and cool for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 325F.
- Slice the log into 1/2 inch pieces cutting diagonally. Lay the pieces cut sides down on the cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, remove and turn the cookies to their other side and cook an additional 10 minutes. Allow biscotti to cool completely before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.
Makes approximately 12 biscotti